E-scooter start-up looking for fast route into Sydney

Singapore e-scooter start-up Neuron Mobility has put the brake on an immediate entry into the Sydney market despite setting up agencies in Auckland, Darwin and Brisbane.

The company says its Sydney arrival will certainly happen but immediate plans are on hold until the State Government and local councils establish firm regulations about the use of e-scooters and e-bikes.

Boosted by a $27m funding round led by Australia’s Square Peg Capital, Neuron Mobility intends correcting the past mistakes made by companies trying to capture the Australian e-machine market.

Melbourne in particular embraced the arrival of e-bikes and was left to cope with discarded machines left up trees, thrown into rivers, left on public transport and just dumped on CBD and suburban streets

Sydney did not fare much better and discarded bikes became an eyesore.

Neuron Mobility says it keeps tighter control of its vehicles preventing discarded bikes being an ongoing problem.

Co-founder Zachary Wang said the past was a still a hurdle to be overcome by his company

“Melbourne was very open to the bicycles last time and got burnt by it,” he told AFR.

“So I think that’s still a big issue and they’re more conservative now with e-scooters so education is needed by us ,to prove that these aren’t bicycles and how it’s different.”

He said Neuron Mobility would have staff on hand around the clock to ensure maintenance of the e-scooters was done regularly and they were fully charged.

The e-scooters would also be equipped with the equivalent of a gear lock to prevent them entering areas prohibited by local councils.

Neuron has already won a contract to supply 60 per cent of the scooters allowed in Brisbane. Lime will provide the other 40 per cent.Australia and New Zealand continue Neuron’s international expansion. They already operate in Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.